Adafruit Permaproto causes lag

Steps I took that resulted in the problem:

Import Adafruit Fritzing Library

Place the permaproto half size (any other should do as well) board and add a few components
editing will become very slow and laggy

What I expected should have happened instead:

should be smooth and responsive

My version of Fritzing and my operating system:

0.9.3, Windows 10

Please also attach any files that help explaining this problem

Happened to me when there are too many detailed parts at the same time and you zoom out. Seems to be a problem related to program perfomance which can’t be solved right now since there isn’t maintenance from devs.

Try turning off the grid feature. If it is set to a low value it can cause massive lag. If turning it off helps but you want to use it then set it to as large of a value as you can use.

I can confirm that there is a significant reduction in program performance when any size Adafruit Perma-Proto PCB is used added to the BB window. I Also reproduced this lag with a similar setup as you are working with (Win-10 & Fritz-9.2b).
KC

Would you please post an example sketch which shows the slow response time? I tried with an older (2017 vintage) adafruit part and don’t see an unacceptable reduction in response on 9.3.b on Win7 pro, but there may be a later version of the part that reacts worse (or I may have used the wrong part :slight_smile: ).

Peter

I noticed the same thing today on Ubuntu. It wasn’t a problem when I tried them 1-2 year ago. As soon as I started trying to place any parts on the board, each hole would flicker blue really fast as the parts passed over it. I’ll try my older Adafruit library to compare.

Interesting, because I’m not seeing this even with the latest adafruit version on 9.3b and win7 (or I’m using the wrong parts). Check your view->set grid size is set to the default .1 in (finer grids are known to cause this problem) if you haven’t already. If I could get it to reproduce I’d look at the coding of the part as being the likely performance hit (but as noted I can’t reproduce this so far).

Peter