The Pad size of SVG parts created in Illustrator changes.

Hello.

When I load my own parts in Illustrator into PCB View, the rectangle is one size larger than it should be.

I am having trouble understanding the cause of this problem.

I have the following settings for exporting SVG in Illustrator.

SVG1.2 Tiny

Responsive checked off

I have attached an image displayed in Illustrator, an image displayed in Fritzing, and a home-made SVG file.

Can you please tell me what is wrong with my home-made SVG file?

PCB-view-test

PCB-view-test

Yes I can tell you what is wrong: the dimensions are in px which will cause Fritzing to guess at what DPI (72DPI or 90DPI or the current 96DPI that Fritzing I don’t think recognizes) and uses that. It sometimes gets it wrong (this is displayed in Inkscape):

the dimensions need to be either in or mm to set real world coordinates. I haven’t seen a way in the Illustrator documents online to achieve that though. This post may provide some help:

Peter

1 Like

I was not aware of DPI. I will keep it in mind in future productions.
I downloaded and tested Inkscape.
It was caused by the fact that the stroke is automatically set in Illustrator.
I will use Inkscape from now on. Thanks for answering a newbie’s question.

If you are new to making Fritizing parts then the tutorials I posted in another thread this morning will probably be of interest if you haven’t already seen them and we are always willing to help people make new parts.

Peter

1 Like

Illustrator can work in whatever units are defined in preferences:

1 Like

Thank you! That will be useful advise for those running in to scale problems in Illustrator. I likely didn’t know what I was looking for in the documentation!

Peter

1 Like

Thank you very much. I will study the tutorial carefully.

Yes, as noted, you need to specifically set the stroke weight [in Illustrator] to something ridiculously small—I usually set it to 0.01pt (because I work with points for stroke width—this is 0.004mm, but 0.01mm would probably be fine, no pun intended, too) so that it is effectively zero.

1 Like

I see! That’s a great idea! Thank you!