Quality check of PCB designs

Me too! The ground plane problems Old Grey is having might be fixable in Kicad (or might not) but it is certainly true even with the parts creation issues Fritzing is a much simpler and in my view better alternative if you are doing non complex boards (which I usually am) and why I am learning Fritzing rather than Kicad or one of the others.

Peter Van Epp

You can get fundamentals, but each of the programs have idiosyncrasies so you can’t actually jump from one to the other without spending a couple of days watching tutorials. The guy on EEV blog, who has been in the industry all his life and is an Altium expert, fumbled online for hours just pressing buttons in KiCad thinking that they are all the same. I was screaming at the monitor because I knew how to use it, because I spend days watching KiCad tutorials. I don’t find KiCad that hard, just stupid how everything inside it is separate apps. I kind-of invested so much time on FZ, and even more on Ink, I might as well help FZ go to a higher level. I also still use the BB view.
KiCad isn’t perfect either. The first part I wanted, a Mega2560 chip, wasn’t in KiCad, so I had to search all over the web for it, and when I got it it wasn’t drawn correctly because it was a contributed part. I also don’t think they have things like Arduinos etc, so they will all have to be made. They say it backed by CERN, but if that’s how they make programs it’s a wonder the collider even works.