Problem installing Fritzing on ubuntu 18.04.1

Hi I’ve tried several times to install fritzing on my Ubuntu set up using
sudo apt install fritzing fritzing-data fritzing-parts
every time I get
(Sorry, we have a problem with the swapping mechanism. Fritzing still works, but you won’t be able to change parts properties.) when i press OK I get Unable to find the following 142 part(s): and a list of parts
ie
‘PadModuleID’ at ‘:/resources/parts/core/pad.fzp’
When I close that wimdow Fritzing load’s up but there are no parts only perfboard

I have installed it before on an Ubuntu 12 setup with no problem
any help would be appreciated
thanks

look for a repo called fritzing-parts and install that as well (or better yet, download the tar file from the Fritzing site which has all the required bits …). I don’t remember if this was the install that didn’t make the parts repository a dependency or not but it matches the error.

Peter

I can confirm that Fritzing work well on 18.04, also if I’ve installed on 16.04 and after updated to 18.04 (so perhaps there are dependencies unsatisfied by 18.04 repos vs 16.04 ones).

thanks for your help i’ve downloaded the tar file from the repo but it looks like all the files are already
there. i’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling again still the same

thanks for the reply do you install from the terminal ?

Then you likely have database corruption which is a different problem usually caused by exiting Fritzing when it appears to hang on startup, when it is really off accessing github to get current parts. The cure to that is to remove the user directories (which don’t get touched during a resinstall) you want the Linux file locations on the bottom, and then be patient while Fritzing accesses github on startup:

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketchs during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will receate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Peter

sorry but I don’t remember. I think from synaptic, as usual. :slight_smile:

OK thanks I’ll try that

thank you Both for your help i tried installing using synaptic found that some things where broken after googling i found i needed to sudo apt-get install --fix-broken and then sudo apt-get autoclean
then reinstall with synaptic and every thing loaded ok
once again thank you

Did the sudo apt-get install --fix-broken command at least warn you that you would likely lose all your sketches if you executed it? I assume what it does is clear the user directories, and that will delete all your sketches if you have a previous working installation. In any case good to hear you got it fixed.

Peter

i only had one sketch and i had moved that to my Documents so i have still got that and everything is working fine thanks