Install 0.9.6 on Linux

Hi,

I’m trying to install this version on a linux-Mint (Ubuntu base).

Launching it raises an error:

./Fritzing 
/usr/share/fritzing-0.9.6/lib/Fritzing: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/share/fritzing-0.9.6/lib/Fritzing)
/usr/share/fritzing-0.9.6/lib/Fritzing: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.12' not found (required by /usr/share/fritzing-0.9.6/lib/Fritzing)

I have installed the required Qt5 depencencies but it seems some are still missing.

Any help ?

BTW: Might be cool to bundle the libs in the apps (like in previous version) or to create a deb file

Installing the full QT5 pack helps but I now have another missing library:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29’ not found

Hi, which Linux Mint version are you using?

I was just able to launch Fritzing on Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” - Cinnamon (64-bit):

Steps:

1. download / extract Fritzing.

2 . "sudo apt install libqt5printsupport5 libqt5xml5 libqt5sql5 libqt5serialport5 libqt5sql5-sqlite"

3. [optional] "./install_fritzing.sh"

4. "./Fritzing"

I have the 0.9.6 on Mint 20.0, and did not meet problems so far…

I did not upgrade yet to 20.1

I updated my 0.9.4 to 0.9.6 using this method.

1. Downloaded latest archive
  2. Extracted the insides to my existing Fritzing folder and replaced everything.
  3. Done.

I’m upgrading to mint 20 but I install the flatpak version which works but it runs in a sandbox, not on the operating system.
Then the export does not see the hard drive, can’t create a folder, …

I would prefer a version installed like the 0.9.3.

Version 0.9.8 is out as an appimage, which should work for you.

I have been using the 0.9.6 flatpak version for sometime on Fedora 30 through 34. As I recall, there was a glitch when saving that required the full sketch file name on save. The bare (IE “my sketch”) did not work. The file suffix was needed (“my sketch.fzz”). Same thing if exporting a part. Include the .fzpz suffix.

The flatpak version puts the library in a read only folder. To allow updates, I downloaded (git clone) the parts library to an accessible path, then use a script to start Fritzing, and point to that path

#! /bin/sh
flatpak run \
org.fritzing.Fritzing \
--parts "$HOME/Documents/data_files/fritzing-parts" "$@" &

I have also at various times included --env=QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb and/or --filesystem=home to work around (what seemed to be) flatpak and wayland version issues.

1 Like

@microMerlin Thanks for the command line tips :slight_smile:
For me on Mageia 8, Plasma, it launches without, and i can also save, open, print, export png. I installed the flatpak in user space (not system), that may be the culprit for @spassignat ? Or problem with the flatpak system installed.

I install flatpak apps in user space as well, so potentially things work a bit different if @spassignat is using system space, which is the default, if you do not specify different.

I’m finalizing my boards version, then I’ll be happy to investigate an upgrade again. I would still prefer a raw install on the operating system for such trustful (and long term use) applications. It often provide a better user experience and consume really less resources than sandboxing systems.

thanks all for your suggestions and solutions.