Deutsch DTM13 Connector

Hi,

I’m developing a PCB which will incorporate the Deutsch DTM13-12PA-12PB-R008 connector. I’ve tried to use a 2 pin generic female header from the core bin, but the pre-set spacings between rows do not suit the DTM connector. Other than the spacings specified in the combo box I cannot add my own. Surely there is a way?

Failing this can anyone advise or create the DTM pcb header for me?

Link to PCB drawing here
https://docs.rs-online.com/136e/0900766b810218c6.pdf

RS Components also do a PCB foot print download in EPW format which you can convert into an ECAD format. But I’m not sure how to convert this to work in Fritzing. See link below:
https://pdl.designspark.com/api/v1/manufacturers/53f31ada9b4759f8698cbc99/part/53f341e49b4759f869dede7a/5cf51f85125319aa75a604e9/2.zip

Thanks in advance.
Jim

I don’t know what a epw is, but you have to convert it to svg

Managed to import the part into Eagle, but I have no idea howto go about converting it to SVG, or the time at the moment.

Does anyone have the Eagle2Fritzing script working? If so, would you be willing to convert this for me?

I don’t know how to do it, but I found a tutorial

I can’t quite believe it’s not possible to set custom hole spacings (other than pre-set values) for a header / connector / generic IC on Fritzing? From reading around various forums it would save huge headaches.

I don’t even need a new part, simply multiple drilled solder pads arranged in 2 rows (6.35mm apart) and 6 columns (4.19mm apart).

Is this really a hard task?

Is it not possible to set a non-square grid?

The usual way is to draw the part, which is not hard if you know vector graphics.

Here is how to move parts

Something like this?

grid-pcb
Exported from this sketch.
pcb-grid.fzz (1.1 KB)

While it is not directly possible to set a non square grid in Fritzing, you can get the same effect as shown above. I did that by setting grid size to 4.19mm, placed a single hole part, adjusted the hole and pad size, moved it to make sure it was on a grid intersection, then duplicated it 5 times, moving each copy to adjacent grid intersections. Next, I changed the grid size to 6.35mm, selected all of the just created and aligned holes, moved them as a group to align to a new grid intersection, copied and pasted to get a new group of holes, moved that new group to the adjacent grid intersection. As long as you move them as a group, they will keep that spacing, even if the grid spacing is changed to something else entirely.

Edit: Need to make sure that align to grid is also enabled.

MicroMerlin, that’s exactly it! Thank you very much.

The last piece of the puzzle is creating two groups of 12 pins (2 rows, 6 columns) and aligning them so the two inner columns are 34.05mm apart.

Using the method you’ve explained above I’ve attempted it, but with limited success. Adjusting the grid to 34.05mm then selecting the group and trying to align the last column to the grid. Then copy and paste the group, move the new group’ first column the next grid intersection.

Problem is I cant accurately move the group based on one specific pin (inner right top - group 1 and inner left top - group 2). Each group seems to align to the grid but with a random pin as the datum.

The only way I’ve been able to do it is to turn align to grid off and move the inner pins as best as I can to the intersections of the grid.DTM.fzz (1.2 KB) See attached.

Am I missing something.

Thanks in advance.

In my quick testing, it was the top left hole of the group that was aligning to the grid. That was also the first hole that was used to duplicate vertically, and the second column was positioned to the right of that. If cloning that group of 12 also aligns to that top left hole, just set the grid spacing to be 34.05mm + the 6.35mm between the first 2 columns. That is, calculate the grid spacing based on top left to top left, and always create the extra duplicated blocks from left to right.

Not tested, but that matches the symptoms I saw.

This complete part should do what you want. As always before ordering boards print out the pcb foot print and compare it to a real part.

DTM13-12PA-12PB-R008.fzpz (9.3 KB)

Peter

Thanks for that Peter.

I managed to get the holes on the PCB exactly using Merlin’s help. But it was re-assuring to use your part and see the holes line up exactly. Out of curiosity Peter, how did you go about making that part?

Many thanks all.

I imported the pdf from the datasheet in to Inkscape and traced the outline of the connector with lines for the breadboard outline then added the pads set to the spacing specified in the datasheet. Copied breadboard in to the pcb svg and edited it to meet what pcb needs (easy if you understand the file formats. Schematic is a 24 pin female header moved slightly to better reflect the way the connectors are segmented. I the fzp file was created by hand I have python scripts that I haven’t released yet that do much of this.)

Peter