Cannot drag/drop anything

I just downloaded the latest fritzing app on my win 8 machine. However, drag/drop does is not working for me. I cannot add any parts to the breadboard. I drag and drag, but its not even recognizing the fact that I am trying to drag. Any ideas?

Very strange. Not sure what I can say. I’ve never had this problem. Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall? I know that really doesn’t seem like much of a solution, but hey, you are using Windows. What would an install in Windows be without rebooting or uninstall/reinstall.

Where are you trying to drag from and to? By default Fritzing opens in the Welcome screen and you can’t drag there. You need to switch to breadboard (or schematic or pcb) view. Then if you drag a component from the parts bin on the right (select core, although it should be the default selection) and drag and drop a resistor in to breadboard view. If that doesn’t work, then I’d try a reinstall but delete these two directories (as they may be corrupted) before the install (the install will not touch them):

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketchs during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will receate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them.

As well when you reinstall and run the first time there will be a long delay while Fritzing goes to github and updates the parts database. Not letting that process complete is the usual cause of database corruption. Hope this helps!

Peter

1 Like

awesome, thanks so much. Deleting those two directories and re-running the app fixed the problem. I guess it was a corrupt db.

Glad it helped, it has fixed most problems we’ve run in to.

Peter