Translation of schematic to breadboard

Hello,

I am a beginner in working with schematics and need help in translating this: http://www.enactiveenvironments.com/wp-content/uploads/SmoothFade-Circuit.png into breadboard. There are couple of symbols which I do not understand, and couple of components are nowhere to find in the library…And so when I re-create this schematic in Fritzing, the breadboard window looks all over the place…Can anyone help? Thank you, Kasia

You will need to be a little creative (for instance the op27 op amp in the parts bin has the same pin out as the tlc271 so you could use it and change the part number) or make your own custom parts (which isn’t that easy). I’d be tempted to use a second ln317 (which exists in parts) for the el driver (which likely doesn’t exist) and an led in place of the el display which also likely doesn’t exist. That gives you the necessary connections if not the exact shapes in breadboard. Having made that in schematic, you then need to drag the parts in breadboard in to a reasonable physical representation and run wires (following the rats nest lines which reflect the connections made in schematic) to place and route the wires in a reasonable path. If you run in to problems, save the sketch (file->save as) as an fzz file and upload the fzz file here (the upload is 7th from the left on the reply tool bar) and one of us will have a look.

Peter

Hi Peter! Thank you so much! Will get on with it tomorrow morning and yes - if I am still confused will post it :slight_smile:

K

Hello hello,

OK - so here is my attempt of recreating the schematic on the breadboard (it is not the work I am proudest of ;))…There are couple of things which are puzzling - for example on the original schematic ( http://www.enactiveenvironments.com/wp-content/uploads/SmoothFade-Circuit.png) there was no connection between the 12v and LM317…for some reason I cannot make it in fritzing not to be connected, so there is a bendpoint…Also - on the breadboard image I connected all parts to ground, but I noticed that even when only R1 was connected to ground, the schematics remained “unbroken”…Not sure whether that good or bed…Anyway - I would love to know whether I did the breadboard translation correctly - if you could have a look - that would be beyond fantastic :). Thank you so much in advance! Kasia

elwire_fade.fzz (12.8 KB)

It wasn’t bad, but I basically stripped most of the wires out and restarted anyway :slight_smile: . The schematic shows 12 V connecting to the input pin on the lm317. In breadboard on this one the top power bus line (where the red wires connect) is assumed to be 12V from a source unshown in breadboard (in schematic I replaced the ac source with a dc source and used inspector to set that to 12V). That can be used as the raw input to power the Arduino as well although I didn’t do that (powering from a separate wall wart or the USB connector will also work fine). I replaced the breakout board op amp with the dip 8 pin op27 which has he same pin out as the dip tlc271 on the assumption you would be using a dip op amp (as opposed to a surface mount device on a breakout board as you had). I used inspector to adjust (by typing the value over the resistance value in inspector (on the bottom left)) for the 38k and 82k resistors and added the missing ground to the Arduino and with that you should be away.

elwire_fade_mod.fzz (12.4 KB)

Peter