TO-220 FET-N, V-reg lying flat on PCB

TO-220 lying flat on PCB - 16.7mm from centre of mounting hole to centre to leg holes.

Basic FET N-Channel - TO-220 lying flat - UPDATED 21.10.16 -
v1.1 - Basic FET N-Channel-flat.fzpz (8.7 KB)

Voltage Regulator - TO-220 lying flat - UPDATED 21.10.16 -
v1.1 - Voltage Regulator-flat.fzpz (8.0 KB)

Fixed error when used under PCBs

Voltage Regulator - TO-220 lying flat with 15mm x 21mm x 10mm heatsink - 07 Oct 16
v1.0 - Heatsink-flat TO-220.fzpz (7.4 KB)
Cheap generic eBay heatsink
You can use a longer M3 screw and actually bolt it down to the PCB

Voltage Regulator - TO-220 standing vertical with 15mm x 21mm x 10mm heatsink - 07 Oct 16
v1.0 - Heatsink TO-220.fzpz (7.0 KB)

Hi!

I was happy to find your part thus i need it in a PCB i am working on!

But if you “move” it to bottom side of PCB the pads and holes get messed up! :frowning:

EDIT: Also the legs are mixed in PCB view.

(And a version with a pad under heatsink would be awesome! :D)

I have to look at that - might take time because I’m not a XML expert -.

The pad is in CORE parts at the bottom.

That’s interesting… never seen that before… You have some really interesting thing going on with your rectangle… The y-location and width are attributes of you rectangle element, while the x-location and height are properties of your style attribute. I have came across this before, FZ doesn’t read style properties the same as element attributes… or don’t read some style properties at all… There are some other properties it there that could be creating problems as well…

I would remove all the unnecessary properties and don’t use styles at all…

<rect gorn="0.4.0.0.0.0.0.4"  stroke="#ffcc00" y="18.2152" width="1.6" fill="none" id="rect4799" style="opacity:1;fill-rule:nonzero;stroke-linecap:round;stroke-linejoin:miter;stroke-miterlimit:4;stroke-dasharray:none;stroke-dashoffset:0.5;" stroke-opacity="1" stroke-width="0.39999995" x="1.9474157" fill-opacity="1" height="1.6"/>

I’m not smart enough to know what I disturbed when I mod-ed the FET svg - I just push nodes about -, so I don’t know what happened. I put copper0 in copper1 to the new std, and I was getting an error that FZ can’t do separate copper layers.

I’ve mod-ed this PCB svg for the 3rd time and it seam ok now. I mod-ed the FET twice but now I mod-ed the V-reg.

What’s up with the legs?

It’s supposed to be 78xx series V-reg, and they go 1 2 3
The FET I based it on was a STP62NSO4Z, and they go 1 2 3
If you look at the part from the opposite side they go 3 2 1, but from the side it is on it goes 1 2 3.

When you save your .svg, don’t save it as Plain SVG… save it as Optimized SVG and check the boxes in the dialog box that will pop-up “Convert CSS Attributes to XML Attributes” which will convert your style properties to XML attributes, :grinning: and “Remove Metadata” which will remove a bunch of unneeded stuff that clutters up your file. The rest of the check boxes I am not sure about or if any of them need to be checked for FZ.

The most important one is to untick the collapse colors box. Fritzing dies if the colors are collapsed.
My parts creation howto has a section on what settings for Optimized I’m using with notes on why in the cases where I know :slight_smile: .

Peter Van Epp

Since the update the legs are in the right position! :grin:

Thanks!

EDIT:
Part works as a charm now! =)

But, (no complaint, only a question/suggestion)

Is it not common practis to have pin 1 Square and the rest round?

Thanks again!

Yeah usually, but you have a big part that might not be bolted down, and that puts a lot of stress on the adhesion of the small copper pads to the board. If you look at Voltage Regular part that is lying flat it has large ovals, and things like ECU plugs where you apply force to pull the plug out sometimes have large pads. If you buy cheap eBay boards it’s better that they are bigger.

Hi Old_Grey,

Just in case you didn’t catch it, the black circle in the heat sink of your FET is in the copper layers and it drills a 4mm hole through your board. You have also duplicated the elements in the embedded copper1/copper0 layer into the copper1 layer.

<g  id="copper1" gorn="0.3.0.0">
      <circle  id="nonconn0" stroke-width="0" gorn="0.3.0.0.0" cy="1.7912009" cx="5.2834153" ...
      <g  id="copper0" gorn="0.3.0.0.7">
            <circle  id="nonconn1" stroke-width="0" gorn="0.3.0.0.7.0" cy="1.7912009" cx="5.2834153" ...
      </g>
</g>

Yes extra holes have to be in the copper group or they don’t get drilled.

Yes they are duplicated because when I used the FET to make the part I modernised it with the non duplicated method of nodes in copper0 inside a empty copper1, and the drawing came out as above. I also got the error that FZ can’t do separate copper layers even though they were inside each other. I basically mod-ed the working V-reg part the minimum amount - i didn’t want to break it like I broke the FET -, so there would be no faults.

Thats true!

I learn every day!

Thanks!

TO-220 part with cheap generic eBay heatsink added.