SL6 x64 Intel Chip - installing & running Fritzing

Path was added

[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$ PATH=$PATH:/home/nick/Programs/fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64
[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$ echo $PATH
/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/nick/bin:/home/nick/Programs/fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64
[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$

now to test install
also I added kde support in SL6

mkdir: cannot create directory `’: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: line 542: /profilerc.new: Permission deni…

still not working…
I have another suggestion I can try from smiliken…

[nick@darkstar ~]$ sudo adduser nick sudo
[sudo] password for nick:
nick is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
[nick@darkstar ~]$

still the same - no sudo password
my su and user passwords work well…

You need to be logged in as root (rather than nick) to run the sudo adduser “username” sudo command. You need to be root to modify the sudoers file. The idea is that if your account is in the sudoers file then using sudo with your normal password will run things as root for you. [quote=“time, post:18, topic:2960”]
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: line 531: kde-config: command not found
mkdir: cannot create directory `’: No such file or directory

No directories in update-desktop-database search path could be processed and updated.
[/quote]

I suspect this is your problem with the fritzing install. The install script is not finding something it wants (which probably means there is a package missing) I expect there should be a path name in the mkdir command that was found in something earlier (possibly the kde-config file that it can’t find) and that’s why it dies. Unfortunatly since I’m not currently running on Linux I can’t easily look to see what it wants.

Goto your fritzing folder
cd fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64 (where ever that location is)
then just execute fritzing with
sh Fritzing

You shouldn’t have to install fritzing to run it inside Linux. It should just run…

Thank youi, this is the result;=======================
[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$ ls
Fritzing fritzing-parts install_fritzing.sh LICENSE.GPL3
Fritzing.1 fritzing.rc lib readme.md
fritzing.appdata.xml help LICENSE.CC-BY-SA sketches
fritzing.desktop icons LICENSE.GPL2 translations
[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$ sh Fritzing
/home/nick/Programs/fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64/lib/Fritzing: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$

I liked the simplicity of running from directory but it did not work.
It was suggested that I add path to a current directory for it to work.
So I did just to check your approch…

[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$ Fritzing
/home/nick/Programs/fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64/lib/Fritzing: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

No luck…but good approach…would appreciate other ideas

Thank you for your effort… I have just rebuilt an old laptop that I likes when it was new and I could not afford it. Most of my other computers are running windows/tablets are Android (also Linux). I also have VM Oracle running several versions of Linux Distro. Since I am a science and engineering person I liked the look of the SL6 (Distro) Linux but never took it seriously until now. I thing everything is Unix/Linux and i need to know it.

so I haven’t played with fedora in some time.

yum install openssl

if installed, you need to make a system link pointing the version of libssl.so.x.x.x you have installed to link/point to libssl.so.1.0.0
example
ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0

NOT sure the lib directory for fedora either… might be /usr/lib64 you’ll need to check and verify this.

Then back to fritzing directory
sh Fritzing

Good luck!

Fedora , RedHat or RHLE or SL are all IBM Linux support distros.
You are correct yum install

[nick@darkstar ~]$ cd /
[nick@darkstar /]$ yum install openssl
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security
You need to be root to perform this command.
[nick@darkstar /]$ su
Password:
[root@darkstar /]# pwd
/
[root@darkstar /]# yum install openssl
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security
Setting up Install Process
Package openssl-1.0.1e-48.sl6_8.3.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
[root@darkstar /]#

It installed…

[root@darkstar usr]# ls
bin etc games include lib lib64 libexec local sbin share src tmp
[root@darkstar usr]# cd lib64/
[root@darkstar lib64]# pwd
/usr/lib64
[root@darkstar lib64]#

also did as suggested

[root@darkstar usr]# cd lib64/
[root@darkstar lib64]# pwd
/usr/lib64
[root@darkstar lib64]# ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0
[root@darkstar lib64]#

it looks like it worked… now back to fritzing dir

[nick@darkstar fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64]$ sh Fritzing

so much excitemnt but is did not work…
I am sure the answer is simple…and I will do a Homer Simpson “D’ho” when it works…
Thank you for your help
I just hope I am not doing some weird confusion to my OS… if it all fails perhaps I will need to re install SL6 …

Does /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 exist on your system (that was just an example, you need to replace the /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 with the path and library version that your system has installed)? From the error message I’d guess it doesn’t. You need to do an ls on /usr/llib and /usr/lib64 and see which of them has a libssl and replace the /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 witht he path and version on your system.

I have the Debian .DEB files for the 64 bit. You or I, could attempt to convert them to .RPM with alien,

Once converted, you could attempt to install with yum.

Another thought.

Done, stay tuned. If you PM me your email address, I give you a download link.

Thank you but that is getting outside my knowledge area…perhaps I need to learn more how to run linux before revisiting that problem - in essence it was an eay exercise that went wrong for what ever reason which is for now beyond me - I have fritzing on my win10 computer and it works well there…I will revisit the problem in some future time.

Thanks - my emai: wavelets@bigpond.com.au
thank you for your help as this was getting outside my comfort zone…I have Fritzing running on my Win system - it works fine.
deb - rpm would be nice…Thank you

Depending on what you want Linux for you may want to consider a different distro. It appears Scientific Linux is like Centos (i.e. a copy of RHEL) aimed at stable data center type operations which means their programs and libraries are a few generations behind (on stable versions). Many of the interesting apps (and I don’t know if that includes Fritzing or not :slight_smile: ) need later more bleeding edge libraries and versions. I used Centos for a while, but finally gave up as I had to load to many packages to new to be in their repository to do what I wanted. I just last night installed the latest Ubuntu desktop as I want to start playing with the Fritzing source and that’s what it is developed on. May be a good choice for you as well or may not.

@time Have uploaded the two files to Dropbox. Email has gone to you.

Be aware, you will have install the files as the SU since you can’t seem to get sudo to work. From the command line,

$ su
enter password to switch to the super user.

‘# cd downloads or where ever you downloaded the files to.
’# yum install *.rpm

If there is a problem, try installing the individual files. I hope this helps/works.

The Linux distro I use, the forum mods were talking about a producing a scientific spin. If you are interested, pop on over to https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=39722&hilit=scientific This distro is light weight and runs fantastically well. If you have requests for packages, the guys get right on it and build away, if possible.

Thank you, Instructions were straight forward…
I just logged on DropBox.com and can not find the files.
if it all failes can you just attach it my email
wavelets@bigpond.com.au
files would be in kbytes…

Yes that is true - SL6 is now SL7 based on (RHLE).
I am using SL6 with all the upgraded libraries , SL6 Distro icons and lay out is better.
I tried both SL6 initially and later 7 they both have the same problem.
SL6 works well with Matlab 2015b and installs from root dir of the DVD.
I have tried Ubuntu ,Debian ( Raspberry ver ) and other Distros with Linux. I am interested in mathematics signal processing - ie Wavelets and SL6 comes with C++ compiler, Phython, platform trageted compilers and many Wavelet tool kits. I am using Arduino target boards and have started using Raspbian boards. Raspbian -boards are linux and hence my interst in Linux but I am on a steep learning curve. Perhaps at this early stage it might be worth swapping from SL to Ubunto-Kde or Raspbian. anyway its always decisions that are made by hindsight…

Files are gone to you.

Thank you -
Not user of Drop box - but I am now.
got two files:

When I run: fritzing-0.9.3b+dfsg-4.x86_64.rpm
I get following…

fritzing-0.9.3b+dfsg-4.x86_64 requires libgit2.so.24()(64bit)
fritzing-0.9.3b+dfsg-4.x86_64 requires libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)

I also tried running…
fritzing-data-0.9.3b+dfsg-4.noarch.rpm
It worked but I got no idea what it did…
was there a prefered order of installing ?

I have Fritzing installed in :/home/nick/Programs
I created a folder “Programs”

[nick@darkstar ~]$ ls
Desktop Downloads octave-core Programs Templates Videos
Documents Music Pictures Public tmp
[nick@darkstar ~]$ cd Programs
[nick@darkstar Programs]$ ls
fritzing-0.9.3b+dfsg-4.x86_64.rpm fritzing-data-0.9.3b+dfsg-4.noarch.rpm
fritzing-0.9.3b.linux.AMD64
[nick@darkstar Programs]$

I hope that helps in resolving this…
once again Thank you for your effort…