Simple GUI Question's

Q1) When I reboot Fritzing, the Window size always goes back to Default of smaller than I prefer… Is there a way to make it restore to what I set it at?

Q2) I know ‘Curvy’ traces and jumpers can be set in Pref’s. But, how to keep Curvy (in PCB view) from affecting traces. In other-words, I want to be able to Bend Jumper Wires in PCB view without affecting traces. Is there a Keystroke for it?

Thanks (I love Fritzing!)

Don’t know the answer to either, hopefully someone else has a suggestion otherwise we are at “read the source Luke” :slight_smile: The source may point us at an xml file to change for the first one (there is a defaults.xml file as I recall), the second is likely to be more difficult even to find.

Peter

Thank you. I sort of figured that…

I suppose I could grab the source and tweak it (I use QT5…etc) But, finding time to dig into it…

Lets wait a bit and see if someone that has been around longer than me answers. I have time, but no Qt experience and so far little luck in getting a development environment working properly. I’m working on a parts update that is currently breaking QT (it asserts and crashes on tspans) and once that is done I think I may be able to proceed (although last I checked the 32 bit Windows Qt version won’t install). I have fixes for some bugs (and am finding a lot more testing the subpart code that has the tspans in it) but distribution is being a challenge. They appear to have backported the assert to Qt5.6 which was what 0.9.3b was released with because it also asserts on the current parts data base. I find it easier to fix the parts in the database rather than try and figure out what is wrong in Qt :slight_smile: .

Peter

Yep, I don’t like reading other’s code and figuring out what they did so I can do what I want.
I’m running on a Mac and have been programming since 1979 in all coding languages. There is a Free community edition of QT5 (that’s what I use in addition to a handful of other IDE’s.

Between replying to the IR post, I finished up my EKG gizmo (3d plastic cover not yet done).

It’s much quicker to do schematic/PCB in Fritzing as compared to Eagle/others… I hope it keeps going!

Do you think you have time just to see if you get the dev enviro working. Van has been struggling for a year.

Yes, I do have time.
Where do I get a copy of Fritzing to play with?

Me too, I don’t often make boards, but breadboard is invaluable for documenting projects like this one easily. While you could do it in Kicad or Eagle it wouldn’t be anywhere near as easy. There has been talk on github about cloning the repo to clear tickets, but when I suggested that the maintainers have said they are open to a new release if someone comes up with a tested code base, interest appears to have died away (at least nothing has come of it). I have the fix for the critical bug about parts update not working on Windows, but don’t have the development environment running to compile it on all platforms (and don’t currently have a Mac at all). Sounds like we are alike, I started in 1970 and am now happily retired which is why I have time to play. I take it you found rafeg’s nokia fritzing part, there is also a 128*128 color version for a couple of bucks more. As well the blue pill is the same price as the pro mini, but with a 72 meg 20k ram arm instead of the 328 (although I so far haven’t managed to get mine to run).

Peter

Ahh, No, I used my Nokia part ( Nokia. In fact, you provided valuable input - Thank you! Many have downloaded it now, as well as my sdCard/etc…

I can’t stand Eagle or Kicad!!! Deleted them from my machine and stick with Fritzing.

Tooting my horn for a moment… I was born in late 1940’s and at age 10, started taking apart Radios, TV’s Guitar amp’s… I have degrees and stuff flying in space, dangling from human bodies (medical) and a host of other mostly useless stuff.
My BestKnots android app has over 150k downloads and my WhereIsIt asrtonomy app was recommended by Royal Observatory of UK when I released it.
Done tooting…

I found the link to it (wasn’t hidden)… it’s
Here

Sorry I went back and read Van’s post and it seams he has the dev env working on Win and Linux, but not Mac, and it’s just some parts that crash it.

I can’t code so don’t know much, all I just know is Van has been trying to fix FZ for a long time.

It will take some thought and a clean desk.
I’ll mess with it a bit and report back - most likely after a week, or so, of hair-pulling. Shouldn’t take long - have only a few hairs left…

I don’t know why Van isn’t answering, but he knows all the problems.

It’s kind-of come down to FZ stagnating, or worse, because there is no one left to fix it.

I’d wandered off for a while. I finally figured out how to compile libgit2 on Windows a few months ago (there are a number of posts around, but none of them work for me). At that point I discovered that Qt objects to tspans in parts, and Win32 Qt hasn’t installed for 6 months or so. The last couple of months have been spent on making the part checking script able to remove tspans, and then I discovered that that wouldn’t fix all the issues with the 400 series parts, and started doing them manually. I’m just testing the finished parts to make sure I don’t break anything, and will then submit the changes to the parts-repo (after checking there aren’t more parts that break Qt). Once that fix gets committed then development should run again (at present, it works til it does the parts update, then crashes on the assert which blocks everything else). Then I’ll have a poke at figuring out how to update libgit2 to a version that supports tls1.2 on Windows to fix the Windows update problem. That may end up being just recompile the 0.9.3b release (because it is tested) with the newer libgit2 because the comment was something like “we are open to a new tested release”. The tested part is hard, because we have currently no way to publish a release to test it. That will be the next task after getting a dev environment and documenting how to do so, (since the current doc is incomplete) so others can do so. If we can’t make releases Fritzing will die as the OS APIs (like libgit2) get too out of date to run anymore. While I can compile versions to keep me going, I’d rather be able to publish versions for everyone to use. I also have a long list of bugs I’d like to fix :slight_smile: to say nothing of new development.

Peter

Ahh… this past summer I had “libgit2” issues when installing Finite Element Analysis plug-in for FreeCAD.

I’ll dig around my notes but, poor instant recall tells me it turned out to be Directory&File location. Once I fixed that, happy camper :grinning:

This is a case of too old version (.24.5, current is .28.0) which only supports tls1.1 on Windows (at least win7, not sure about 10). The linux and likely Mac versions already supported tls1.2 and thus still work. Building on Linux is a breeze just do a make and away it goes. On Windows the standard instructions either don’t work or build a 32 bit version which Win64 won’t link. I eventually stumbled across the appropriate cmake incantation to produce a Win64 binary, at which point I hit the Qt assert issue. After being able to create a dll, I tried just substituting the dll, but it still trys to use tls1.1 and fails.Compiling from source with the new libgit2 works and then hits the Qt assert. If you can pull up a dev environment (there are instructions here for linux which should be similar to a Mac as it is FreeBsd on top of a micro kernel:

and are familiar with Qt, perhaps you can see what it wants to avoid the assert. As far as I could see Fritzing calls something to render an svg and I think (but the Qt folks in their forum didn’t) that it is a Qt bug. For me changing the parts db (as tspans don’t appear to have any valid use) is easier (if not very fast.) Hopefully I will soon be ready to make the parts update which will at least enable development to proceed (until the next roadblock). I to the point of testing the parts (at least the first set, there may yet be more) that need to change. Once I’m sure they are correct I’ll submit the parts pull request and see if it is accepted.

Peter