Sharing my work with Fritzing, a LED POV project

This is a Project made with Fritzing, Arduino&Teensyduino. named Venti POV 80HD.
Completed in summer 2018. Thanks for all the help from Fritzing community and PJRC community :slight_smile:

Defined to used in Flow arts, poi or staff spinning, and drawing pictures by Persistence Of Vision (POV)
a 3-part board with a Teensy holder, a touch pad cap, and 2 sides of apa102 LED strips(hard PCB style)
Hardware starring: Fritzing designed PCB boards, Teensy 3.6 development board, Apa102 I.A. RGB LEDs.

I’m no professional and very-unnoticed about any rules in schematics,
I use pads and holes like whatever I like, not sure but they did work.
so if you see any unreasonable design in your sight,
please reply so I can understand and fix them :slight_smile:

for more details about the project see PJRC forum for reference :

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/53088-Venti-POV-v2-0-80HD

Also the three maded board in the same file :
80HD_2018board.fzz (265.8 KB)

Please focus in the PCB view, I made no effort in other views.

circle: touch pin extended to reach user easily, and worked nice :slight_smile:
USB slot was done by many holes, another slot is for a DC1.3mm plug so I can charge the battery thru.
I use thin wires to separate ground-fill to some shape intended. (this takes long time on ground-filling if your shape was complicated. )

80 apa102 LED strips: 80HD means 80 leds in a High Density of 4LEDs / Cm. Some hard time wiring and soldering. The back of the board is extra pads for extra possible places for battery connections. Carefully connected to ground, but not MOS-drain, so apa102 was not powered without T3.6’s pulling.
The N-mos drain is connected all the way pass the board so every LED gets the same resistance from wiring, and shows same brightness.

holder: with a MOS controller,battery level divider resistors and capacitors for Lithium battery.
I didn’t use all the pins from Teensy 3.6 so not all the pins are placed and soldered. (I’m so lazy)
Also it was better focused with less pins laid.

You likely need to move the boards to one board per file. DRC (design rules check) fails because of more than one board. Visually it looks like some of the spacing is too close but DRC would verify that (if it worked …)

Peter

You can just click on 1 PCB at a time and run the DRC.

You also have to do the same thing when you export.

I tried that (because it said something like that) but couldn’t make it work. Then I gave up :slight_smile: . Maybe I’ll poke some more later.

Peter

I just tried it and it worked. I clicked the grey part of the PCB.

I didn’t use the DRC check for my board,
and there are many pads/via or holes overlap by purpose

it is not the first design I didn’t use DRC check, I probably never followed the DRC rules :expressionless:

yeah, sometimes there are unintentional overlaps,
but I got use to it, checking the gerber export also did my own DRC job.

the three board in the files work as needed and can play the POV effect photoes in the PJRC project post.

Yep, when I click on the grey of the pcb as Old_Grey suggested and then select Routing->Design Rules Check (DRC) Fritzing is unhappy about the routing. This may or may not indicate anything because as I recall these leds are narrow spacing, but it would be good to be sure before trying to cut boards. That said, the gerber output doesn’t look too bad, so it may just be that DRC is being too strict. The board on the bottom right looks to have the top trace outside the board boundary and will likely be truncated at the board edge by a bit.

Peter

I can’t remember the tolerance FZ deems as too close, maybe 0.01", but I think PCB houses are 0.006". Better check to be sure.
You can click on the fault in the DRC box and it will show red on the PCB, then you decide if you let it go.

pulling wires to-and-from the small pads often point to neibor pads, due to the close and small size.
I use copper text “_” instead of traces for easier copy and paste, that is a tip for 80 small LEDs,

and probably that is one of the thing that DRC check cannot accept, but worked for me.