Resistor-array?

Hello everyone,

after a bit of silence I’m back with all required SVGs. PCB, Breadboard, Schematics and Icon are generated. Do you spot any errors? If not, I’ll proceed in trying to package everything up. Is there anything new on SPICE that I could include in those files?

I’ll be back with more if everything goes well. Else I’ll be back with questions. :smiley:

Resistor_Array.fz (56.4 KB)

In PCB the silkscreen is white, we are changing it to black these days to make it easier to edit the svg.

Hi Old_Grey,

He didn’t draw the PCBs… FZ did… I modified it and Heinzelchen wrote the Python script that generated multiple pin holes. I used a 3-pin generic connector from the FZ core library and altered it to be used in the Python script. When I work on drawings that have a white lines, I always set a dark background so I can see them… Tricks of the trade. :smirk:

@Heinzelchen , we did figure out the SPICE thing, Now I am working on the best way to organize the Resistor Family with all the different resistor configurations so the Resistor Family doesn’t look like the Connector Family… a cluttered mess impossible to navigate… I will send you a template when I get it together…

1 Like

Yeah I know it’s one of the old parts make with that old drawing software with the dark background, but now that FZ recommends Ink it causes problems for beginners, because they don’t know it’s there. I remember the first part I modified because when I opened the PCB svg, it was just 4 gold contacts in much bigger a rectangular box. It took quite some time to figure out there were outlines of the part in there. I always convert it to black when I find it, just like FZ recommends in part creation, and in Ink you just select silkscreen group in XML Editor, hold shift, and click on the black colour box on the bottom colour bar on the left, and everything in there gets a black silkscreen.

Must of been a rookie mistake… :sob:

Rookie is exactly right. I can build you a 3000 ton bridge and fix a Nitro Top Fuel head with a hole in the side the size of a golf-ball, but 1 year ago I didn’t even know what a svg was. It took 3 months to make a FZ part from scratch because there was no help or info back then, so I had to learn Fritzing, Inkscape, XML, Electronics, KiCad, Eagle, from scratch and with no experience, to be able to reverse engineer a FZ part to actually make it. I kept asking for help on the forum, but there was no response, so I keep hacking until I made a part. Back then they closed the part side down - they make their lively hood from part creation so I don’t think they were keen on helping part creation - , but after I posted my working part and started telling people how to do it it took off. After that the FZ guys got more serious about parts and made the part submit and started helping somewhat.

I remember seeing that empty svg and with nothing to click on, because you couldn’t see anything, and was wondering how it was added, because it was in FZ. Was it another svg, was it internal to FZ, when you don’t know anything you don’t know what to ask. It was a couple of days of getting nowhere that I found in a searching that old parts had a white silkscreen.

Unless you’ve been a rookie you can never understand what it’s like, so I always correct stuff for people that are starting from nowhere, just incase.

I also wondered about the silkscreen actually. After looking in the code it became clear to me, so only working with code and not visually pays of in a way. :smile:

It’s no problem for me to change the color to black, if this is the default for the future. Just let me know.

I just never paid any attention to it and usually left them what ever color they were. They are always black on the view regardless what color you draw them. Although, sometimes I draw them white as they give me an actual representation of what it looks like when printed… :astonished:

I was also working on the idea of multiple breadboard images for the same part… i.e. Front view and top view…

1 Like

Well the story goes that everyone used Coral Draw with the dark background, but now that it’s not free no one uses Coral Draw, so it going to be Inkscape with a white background from now on.

I always correct old parts - there are others things too - to try and get them to a more standardised format.

Oh-oh… now I’m in trouble… :fearful:

Come over to the dark side my son.:smile_cat:

I don’t know if the topview is a real good idea, as you can’ read the values. However if you want, it is no problem for me to implement this.

What’s up next? SPICE? Or what else is there to do?

Try these… see if they work for you… Resistor Array Parts.fz (32.1 KB)

EDIT: After you load them all in, you will need to close and reopen FZ for all the properties to synk…

Thanks steelgoose!

I tried to implement the missing pieces but I’m not getting everything right it seems. You can view my code here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ba9b41655310d677eeebcfe0b8aed11d

And an example output here: test.fzpz (21.3 KB)

Unfortunately, Fritzing crashes on my machine while opening this file. My guess is that my script generates a wrong zip-format for Fritzing to parse. Does someone know of an easy to automate way to generate the fzpz-files from the raw svg- and part-files?

I figured the .fzp would be a little more difficult, that is why I went ahead and made the parts. I didn’t touch your .svg’s at all, other than the file name… I just created the .fzp and .fzpz and they all worked great. I will look at your .fzpz… probably something simple… One little thing wrong and it will crash Fritzing.

From the get-go, when I unziped it, I see 4 errors; only the .fzp file can have the prefix “part.”, the .fzp will be extracted to the folder /parts/user/. the breadboard .svg needs to have the prefix “svg.breadboard.”, as it is extracted to the folder /parts/svg/user/breadboard/. The same goes with the prefix on the other three “svg.icon.”, “svg.pcb.”, and “svg.schematic.”.

It works! Thanks a lot for pointing that out. That was a stupid mistake by myself. The current code is available here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/cb907737750e180b5f881a11237c6d62

A basic output is attached. Now I’m on to document everything and wrap it up as a console-script.

test.fzpz (61.3 KB)

I completed it! You can now find the current script at https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anonymous/ffa92d8f8b12fe630e947ceba78da059/

Please let me know if anything is missing. It should be pretty self-explanatory in the shell if called. Thanks for all your help! :smile:

Thanks for your script.
I was just about to create my own resistor array for Fritzing when I found this.

But I think it would be better if this part was integrated in the official project.

Would you mind if I create some parts with our script and import them to the fritzing-parts git repsository?

Or do you want to do this on your own?

I am also not sure how I can combine these parts to be one parts in the parts library so the user can select his parameters of the resistor array by his own.
But maybe I figure this out. :slight_smile: