Problem with 4xxx logic gates - can you reproduce this?

There seams to be something wrong with the first one.

When I move the top and bottom gate thingys, it won’t snap back to the same position.

Yup. I missed this because I’ve got my grid size set to 0.05in. Fz chooses the lowest numbered pin to locate the part and the second and fourth gates are therefore aligned on the Q pin, which is on a 0.05 in boundary. I think I will just double part size, it makes it much more usable in general. Ho hum, another update…

I hope this is the last iteration for these this time!
4070 4 x 2 Input XOR Gate, single part - v3.fzpz (11.3 KB)
4070 4 x 2 Input XOR Gate, multi-part - v3.fzpz (11.6 KB)

As you can see, I have doubled the size of the multi-part part. I have also reworked all the parts to make them more consistent in size and layout. As always, full set is on github.

Knowing my luck I will break it. lol

I don’t know if this is a thing but in the single IC, if you make a connect between pins on the same chip, they stay red. Do pins ever connect on the same chip.

Only if you connect one of them to something else

I’m just starting to try and create parts and yours do exactly what I am wanting to do, however I haven’t been able to find your repository on github. Would you please provide a URL? I’ve learned a bunch just by reading your posts and the responses to them so thanks!

Peter Van Epp

You’re welcome. The repo URL is:

The parts are now ready for use, so if el-j who moderates the github would very kindly accept the pull request and merge them in, you’d get them in the standard feed.

Thanks! Took me a bit (I’m new to github too) to figure out by default I was looking at the master branch and that I needed to change to your branch to see your changes, but I’ve downloaded them to play with now. I see I have a huge amount to learn about creating parts, but I also have a huge step up because you have already done exactly what I want to do (create splitable logic parts) and having examples of how it can be done is a huge advantage in the learning curve.

Peter Van Epp

Anything I can do to help, just let me know. Once you have got your first draft, if you want me to check them over based on my experiences, then please do post them. If you are planning to do any of the logic gates, in particular buffers or inverters, please let me know as I have already started those.

Thanks I will take you up on that once I get my first attempt working. So far Inkscape is winning :-).
I’m starting with something dead simple, a 5V to 9V DC-DC converter with only 4 pins in a 600 mil
24 pin package. So far even getting the to work is being hard in the sense that there are spare pins that I thought I had deleted in Inkscape appearing in the parts editor and as has happened to me before, something I’m doing or not doing is causing alignment problemsi between where the pins appear on the grid in Inkscape and the parts editor (where they aren’t on the grid). Once I get somewhat stable on parts creation I’m interested in the various tristate buffers (74x125/126 74x365/367 and 74x541 where x is 74hc and 74ahc) primarily for level translation between 5V and 3.3V systems. While I’d like to be able to create parts as you are, I think I’m a long way from knowing how to do that and if you beat me to it I certainly won’t be unhappy :slight_smile:

Peter Van Epp

Yes, the grid in Inkscape is prone to weirdness. It is happy enough (usually) with SVG created in Inkscape, but gets confused by ones from other sources. The grid scale can end up wildly off, I do not know why. Sometimes exiting and reloading helps. The grid origin in Fritz is determined by the first pin (pin0) in your part, so in Inkscape your grid origin needs to be aligned to pin0. It usually is, but is worth checking too.

The pins in Inkscape are independent of those listed in the parts editor except that when you first load an SVG in the parts editor, IIRC it creates new pins for any it finds in the SVG. I don’t think it removes them. If you add pins in parts editor by increasing the count, it tends to leave a gap in the numbering between the original and the new, so if you go from six pins to eight, you get pin0 to pin5 and then pin7 to pin8. If you are not paying attention, you can then end up with pins in the two products that are linked but who’s id numbers do not match. For good practice, they should be the same. Fun, fun, fun! I tend to hand edit the xml a lot, to avoid or correct these funnies. Look at the part file format spec and learn it - it will help, a lot.

I just now finally (after about a week of frustrating work!) got a simple DC DC converter part with all of 4 pins successfully created and exported. Tomorrow I’m going to try once again to reduce the size of the schematic image and see if I can get the pins to line up correctly (I haven’t been successful in the past, but then I couldn’t get the part working without trying to reduce the size of the schematic either). It also looks at least for me, like parts editor is a one shot operation. Trying to re edit a part to fix problems tends to end up with the fonts reduced to close to nothing and unreadable or a fully red rectangle with nothing in it. As well sometimes after importing an svg from Inkscape and changing it in parts editor Inkscape won’t render the modified svg. XML shows up in the XML editor but the screen is a white square with no image. Then I’ll put the part up to see what I’ve done wrong :-).

Peter Van Epp

In Inkscape you select all, go Object/Transform and in the side box select scale. Always set up a 0.100" grid first.
The red rectangle means you haven’t assigned the pins in FZ Edit.
The fonts drive me crazy also because I haven’t worked that out yet - don’t use fonts much -

Your part crashed Fz as soon as I dragged it on to the board. I thought you were just trying to create the IC-4070 part. Although I see what you are trying to achieve… I don’t quite understand the principle behind it… I have never tried anything like this in Fz so I don’t know if it will work or not… This is just a tad out of my knowledge base… but it is interesting…

What Fritaing version and what os? Both his 4070 parts from a couple of months ago work fine on my Win7 9.3 Fritzing installation (there may have been updates since I last fetched them though)? The movable internal parts is documented in the parts file format document but @sgparry0407 is the only one I know of that has published a part using them (I hope to get there, but am still a long way off I expect). It is very cool to be able to move only one element of an inverter to where you need it rather than having to move the entire part.

@rainsee are you getting the parts from here or my github repo? They are not crashing on mmy system but they were in earlier versions.

Latest GIT version of parts are now in main Fritzing repo, thanks to el-j!

Hello SGParry - thank you so much for your work on the 40xx series logic chips. I’m a total newbie to Fritzing. Are these 40xx parts available for me to use. How do I go about accessing these 40xx parts.

If you would like to reply to me privately, my email address is timpullenipad@gmail.com

Kind regards

Tim

Just scroll up until you see the red download writing, and then import those .fzpz parts into your MINE bin.

They are now in core, so he can just search for the one he wants in the parts bin (the magnifying glass on the parts manager on the right of the screen). (edit:) As well he has a repository on github where his new stuff is being developed which you may want to browse for parts that haven’t yet made it in to core. It is a subtree off of the master parts repro (took me a bit to figure out where it was when I first accessed it :slight_smile: ).