PLCC 84 socket part?

Has anyone made a part for a PLCC84 socket?

If so, I’d appreciate knowing about it - save me from KiCAD …

Thanks,

-Gordon

Don;t see one anywhere. If you have the datasheet for the part (or even just if you want through hole or SMD) it is easy enough to make one, although it may be a few days.

Peter

I’ve no found one anywhere - I’ve modified existing DIL sockets and devices for my needs, but not found a PLCC-84 device I can adapt. The actual part (WDC65C265S) isn’t that relevant here - I just need a through-hole socket footprint for the PCB and some sort of representation in the schematic sheet.

I’ve not found a good tutorial for designing stuff from scratch, but maybe I’ve not looked hard enough - any links?

Thanks,

-Gordon

I think he meant an engineering drawing of the socket footprint, because without dimensions you can’t draw it.

There is part making vids.

@Old_Grey is correct I was looking for the socket, but knowing you want through hole is enough, I can find a socket on digikey to get the footprint from.

Peter

OK. I was sort of under the impression that 84-pin PLCC was a fairly standard thing. This is the thing I’m after though: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1604550.pdf

Thanks,

-Gordon

OK this should do the job. As always verify the footprint matches an actual part (I used a milmaz data sheet as they had a full description of the recommended foot print plus pin numbers on the layout, neither of which your data sheet has.)

W65C256S.fzpz (14.3 KB)

Unrelated to the part, if you want to breadboard this and have a wire wrap tool (after my scope, my best investment ever :slight_smile: ) Using 30 pin SIP wirewrap sockets (used to be available from electronix express), they would fit the pins of cheap import plcc sockets available locally (and probably at least the milmax ones too). I have a Z380 in plcc on a piece of perfboard with 64K of ram all wire wrapped.

Peter

Awesome, thanks. Will have a play with it soon.

I won’t be breadboarding it - not wirewrapped for over 30 years now though. Last wirewrap I did: https://unicorn.drogon.net/6502back.jpg

Thanks,

-Gordon

Yes wirewrap is becoming a lost art now. I haven’t done one in probably 10 years or so, but for through hole stuff on non single chip CPUs you can’t beat it. My first 8080 back about 1978 was on wirewrap.

Peter