Part request to apa102-2020

While I can’t say I know any of these, is there something we can do with parts labels or other fields that will help this? We can make a single character label (such as L) that it will append an increasing number to if that would help.

Peter

thank you,
I think not much?

see i Copied F31~F40 and pasted, the F41~F50 was auto-increased (F++?) but missorted
I also tried to select with different order (with ctrl) and its missorted in the same way F51~60

But this was just a minor issue, can be confronted with hard labor, invisibility or simply ignorance.

It looks like changing the part label from RGB SMD LED to F may help some. That will set the label to start with F and increment. However you are correct, the placement and what it does when copying are set by the code somewhere I think and unless one of the more experienced folks has a trick up their sleeve (which is possible) I don’t know of a way to influence it from the part values.

Peter

Here is an example of why I designed the alternate pad design.

This board only has 2 LEDs (4mm pitch) but you should understand why I did this. The board is only 3mm x 14mm but could be any length.

Here is the sketch for anyone interested. Note: I only did the PCB, the breadboard and schematic are just overlapping ratsnests.
APA102-2020_strip.fzz (21.3 KB)

Edit: I should say that I would tent the vias as discussed here Silk Screen Image that covers vias which I can confirm works perfectly .

Edit 2: Here is a rendering of the board with the vias tented. (I deleted them in Gerbv)

1 Like

good thing, could be the smallest strips (in width?) to make,
you can even put the connecting pads on the same side I think.
but not sure where to use with such tight width
apa102-5050 strips are also small too, 8mm width ?

my POV need denser design and double sided,
still requires more width, or more layers

Here are a pair of parts, one with the recommended footprint and one with a version of the compact footprint (with all the pads the same length. They are both new parts (and will thus coexist with the current ones), the part label has been changed to ‘L’ and the fpz has been modified to make them core so they are selectable from the LED package types in inspector.

APA102-2020_recommended_footprint.fzpz (13.4 KB)

APA102-2020_compact_footprint.fzpz (13.6 KB)

Peter

1 Like

Sorry to tell, by far I asked, the part apa102-2020
Has a moq of 3,000 and was priced at ~0.14$

The moq and price on web seems to be old/price of normal 2020-LED

@AlanChen That does not surprise me. I find many items on electronics suppliers websites (english versions of non-english speaking companies sites) that they either do not have any longer or have the wrong price or simply the wrong information or wrong picture etc. It is one reason I actually like eBay even though the prices are higher. Most of the sellers know how to communicate what they have for sale in a way that is understandable and up to date to a person with a western mindset. I find a lot on places like Aliexpress but I often have questions due to some of the way things are written and I find communication can be very difficult compared to eBay (even though they are often the same people). Right now I am trying to find a supplier of two types of rechargeable lithium batteries that I want to buy in mid volume but I want to find one supplier to get them both from so I do not have to pay courier shipping for both orders since shipping is so expensive for batteries. I have been writing Ali and eBay sellers and manufacturers and battery suppliers but I have only found one place that has both but I would need to buy 5000 of each which i am not willing to do. I have been searching for weeks without success.

Back to the LEDs. You could try contacting APA at neon-world.com to see how much they are direct. I have found them very willing to give prices.

1 Like

hello, its been sometime since the part was drawn,
just here to show that the footprint of 2020 is tested
the apa102-2020 is from TW, those are not friendly to hand solder, or impossible?
I met more problem on stencil + hot plate soldering,
but finally can get a chain with 80 -2020s working :slight_smile:

there are apa102-5050 prototype at left (with density of 2LED/cm)
and apa102-2020 prototype at right (with density of 4LED/cm)

here is a working video of two

Thanks for everyone helped :rofl:

They look great and more magical than the 5050 ones.

@AlanChen Is this your project?

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/53088-Venti-POV-v2-0-80HD

It looks like your PCB and they say they used Fritzing. Also the timeline stated in the forum thread would line up well with when we developed this footprint.

Yes it is, after some time the apa102-2020-board has fit into my project proving it usable.
The density had cause me soldering failures, but I guess auto smt would not have problems. After all hand solder fixing worked.
Thanks again for all the help. :slight_smile:
The boards shown in forum were all drawn in fritzing and apa102 were sourced in Taiwan.
,oh
So I forgot to share it also in fritzing forum,
Where should I head to?

It looks amazing. Good work.

If you want to share it here I would put it in http://forum.fritzing.org/c/projects

Okay, sharing the project will be on my list, :slight_smile:

btw, I just visited the company here in TW had some talk with the manager, and complaint about everybody thinks, the poor datasheet dimension quality.
It turns out that the datasheets are more clear when sizing now,
not sure if its because my complaint anyway.

5050: apa102c-5050 (c is a cheaper package, and possibly made in China)
http://neon-world.com/uploads/soft/20161012/1476266707.pdf

2020: apa102-2020 (8-pads as this thread using)
http://neon-world.com/uploads/wenjian/20apa.pdf

I heard that they are also releasing apa102 in 3535 / 1515 package, but the new datasheet are not released yet, they follow nearly the same 6-pads with apa102-5050, with different arrangement of pins, so its easier to chain.
and there is also a new 2020 package, with 6-pads only, for more easy/dense soldering! not-yet seen datasheet release,

please wait for my discovery :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello community
I have designed a easy breakout for testing the new footprints from apa102, 2020(6pad),
1515(6-pad), and bigger pad versions for easier visual examination,
It is possible, though unpractical, to hand-solder with the big pad 1515/2020s
I completed my test board with some hot plate resoldering,
the 6-pad version is far more easier to use than its 8-pad counterpart, can achieve higher density on laying out.
At least they don’t short that much often.

apa102testsketch2222.fzz (212.6 KB)

notice the sequence of Vdd and Gnd layout has changed, due to the designs of new IC chip.

apa102-1515-6-pad is byfar the smallest of its kind yet. not sure if there’s going to be smaller ones.I heard they are designed on a remote version of such chip, powered by wireless magic
so powerwire and datewire are not needed. I’m not sure if the magic is possible.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thank you all involved,:joy::joy:
peace :slight_smile:

this is a photo of it work,

not very clear seen,
but the IC inside the chip of 2020,1515 were located close to the side of gnd wire,
from top view. also the ground wire have a slighty bigger pad/layout.

1 Like