Making a hole in a part that should be drilled in the pcb (but no copper ring around the hole)

Lets see if I can formulate my question in an understandable manner and with enough words for google to index and find this post for the next person with the same question

I’m making a part in Inkscape.
on the board layer (of the main fritzing PCB) I need to drill a hole
the hole has no copper surrounding
What do I need to draw (in the part), what id etc., to make that hole appear in the main PCB.

If I understand correct the drill file is generated from the holes it finds in copper pads.
and if NO hole should be drilled then I should use drill=no
but what I couldn’t find is how to drill a hole when there is no copper.

I hope my question is still clear and not overcomplicated.

1 Like

Hi,

First guess: Make a hole, and set ring thickness to 0.
Result: There is copper where the hole should be.

A hole with a ring has no copper inside the ring.
Workaround: Set ring thickness to something very small: eg. 0.001
It works!

Still it looks like a Bug to me.

1 Like

Thanks htho,

I’ll give that a go, why couldn’t i think of that! :slight_smile:
Still if there are other options i’d like to know.
I’m doing this in Inkscape BTW. (I’ll add that to my original question)

Not sure if I can name this a bug. I doesn’t break anything. (Maybe a few brainsells that get lost in the jungle)

I always suggest looking @ the current .svg PCB library. ie; open fritzing-app/parts/svg/core/pcb/

Any part with a black hole. Open and analyze that hole or copy & paste / adjust size for your board.

Good Luck!

But… the hole part can’t be exported as a part file…I also searched for the source files of the hole part but had no luck
i’m off to /parts/svg/core/pcb/ again to see if i can figure out your suggestion

I got it, THNKS!

<g id='copper0'>
<circle cx='8.382' cy='12.827' r='1.4986' stroke='black' stroke-width='0' fill='black' id='nonconn0' />
<circle cx='33.782' cy='12.827' r='1.4986' stroke='black' stroke-width='0' fill='black' id='nonconn1' />
<g id='copper1'>
<circle cx='8.382' cy='12.827' r='1.4986' stroke='black' stroke-width='0' fill='black' id='nonconn2' />
<circle cx='33.782' cy='12.827' r='1.4986' stroke='black' stroke-width='0' fill='black' id='nonconn3' />
</g>
</g>