Creating a new capacitor size

I have changed or edited the standard Electrolytic capacitor to add a size.
I am surprised I had to do this, and would think there is a way to change the size, when you select “variants” of the parts.

I specifically need an 8mm diameter cap, THT, with .6mm leads which are 3.5mm apart and centered of course.
I’ll link the datasheet ( mechanical spec), in case that statement is not clear enough.
https://search.kemet.com/component-edge/download/specsheet/ESK108M6R3AG3AA.pdf

I couldn’t see how to move pads, or change the pin size, or change the footprint from Fritzing itself.
Other than editing the part. So I edited the part.

I editted the pcb’s svg file in a text editor. (Inkscape usually messes it up).
First I converted everything to millimeters. There was three different different measurement systems in the original file, and I can’t think like that.
I guessed the size of the pad drill size (pin size plus .1 mm)? and the pad size ( .2 mm)?
Is this close to the correct definition of those pads?

thanks,
-allan

Electrolytic Capacitor.fzpz (7.5 KB)

Because of the svg files this is indeed the only way to change parts most of the time. Your part has a .043 hole size (much to large) so I reduced it to .030 and set the pad width to 20 thou (which is the usual size). You can check hole sizes by file>Export->for production->gerber and then edit the .drill file with a text editor:

Untitled Sketch_drill.txt

original:

; NON-PLATED HOLES START AT T1
; THROUGH (PLATED) HOLES START AT T100
M48
INCH
T100C0.043307
%
T100
X016222Y015222
X017600Y015222
T00
M30

new one:

; NON-PLATED HOLES START AT T1
; THROUGH (PLATED) HOLES START AT T100
M48
INCH
T100C0.030000
%
T100
X017222Y013222
X015844Y013222
T00
M30

Inkscape has any number of issues, but does work with Fritzing if you select save as then plain svg as the save format (although even then you need to edit the output file and make some changes such as remove the px from font-size).

Electrolytic Capacitor_1.fzpz (8.0 KB)

Peter

1 Like

thank you. I guess I see why holes are described in mils, even though all the specification drawings are in mm.

Electronics is like tyre sizes, a mix of inch and metric, and will probably never fully convert due to it’s legacy. Even the newer SMD stuff isn’t immune, because most are in thou but LEDs are in mm.